Thursday, October 21, 2010

No I don't want your socks

Way back in October of 2005 I came to Germany on an internship. My German pretty much consisted of:
"I don't speak German."
"Can you speak English"
and whatever else the German CDs taught me. So one day when Z and I were exploring our town we wondered into what we thought was a small shop. It turned out to be a huge 3 or 4 story department store. German shops can do that to you. You think you're walking into a small store but then find out it goes on and on. So we finally came to the top floor of this massive place. We had done a pretty good job of sneaking by everyone else and not being talked to, but this last floor was much less crowded.

So in the sock department our worst fears came true, a lady approached us and spoke to us in German! We stood there for a second not sure what to do. I looked at Z to do something. He's the much braver of us two. So he used one of the few phrases that we knew. "Ich spreche kein Deutsch." (I don't speak German.) This ensued all kinds of panic. The lady alerted all of her coworkers around that we didn't speak German. Was there anyone that could speak English. At this point we were dying to run out of that building. We had no interest in actually buying socks. We just wanted to see if German socks looked the same as american socks. We were relived to find out that yes their socks are pretty much the same.

So finally they found someone who spoke English. She came over to us and asked. "Can I help you?" To which we replied,"No we're just looking." That was it. We left. After that we were much more cautious about what stores we entered.

Yes "Socks for You" is an actual name of a store.

2 comments: