Saturday, October 23, 2010

First Night in Germany

When I first came here in 2005 I thought there was some really weird stuff. Z and I got picked up from the airport. I was so excited. I had waited 6 years for this day. That's a long time to a 22 year old. I had just finished college and was finally able to do what I dreamed of. This was it. We ate dinner then were dropped off at the house of the people we would be staying with for the next month. The high school girl that was with us told us that we would be staying with two older women. So I had this idea of two sweet gray haired older women. When we arrived at the apartment I was shocked to see that the apartment was decorated super modern. The couch was a bright red half circle. They had modern art on the walls.

This weird Pharaoh bust.
This is what old people decorate their houses like in Germany???

I was really jet lagged and tired. I still hadn't met our hosts and was told they wouldn't be home till really late, so we should just go to bed. So we did. We were exhausted. I slept till late into the night and then was wide awake in a very dark room. I had no idea what time it was either. I didn't even know whose house I was even at. That's when I started to cry. This is what jet lag does to you. It sucks. I was suddenly homesick for a place that I was at only 30 hours before. I still remember the fear and loneliness and realizing other than Z everyone that loves me is on the other side of the globe. No one in Europe loves me. This thought paralyzed me. I still think that's a horrible feeling. It didn't take long before I had friends. People I'm still friends with and visit from time to time. But for me that's some of the worst part of culture shock. The intense loneliness and the inablitity to break out of my shell.

After a while Z woke up. He asked me what was wrong and I told him how scared I was. I don't know what happened between the time that I was alone in my thoughts and when Z woke up, but we ended up laughing. The type of laughter that can only be experienced late at night. We laughed hard. We stayed up for another hour talking and laughing. And if our hostesses, which we still had not met heard this, then I'm sure they must have wondered what they had gotten themselves into and who these strange americans were in the other room.

Oh and the little old ladies with the crazy modern style ended up being in their late twenties early thirties. Apparently to the high schooler that was really old.

No comments:

Post a Comment