Thursday, November 10, 2011

I guess my name is Alisha now



When I was in kid I was really shy. One time when I was 16 I took a couple classes at a college. I was really nervous about it and was glad when I met one nice lady. When I introduced myself to her I told her my name, "Alyssa." She called me Alisha for the rest of the semester. No big deal. Then she started telling everyone else in the class my name was Alisha. OK, so I'll just be Alisha for a semester. The last day of that semester. We had to do a group discussion. One person had to write down the names of all the people in the group. When I told them how to spell my name, another girl said realized that they had called me the wrong thing for 4 months. Yes, I'm that awkward. I was reminded of how awkward I was by these "Awkward Penguin" memes.




One time when I was about 14 I dropped my favorite plum lip gloss. Someone announced in front of a big group of people that it had been lost. Anyone want to claim it? No way did I want to claim that I had lost my lip gloss in front of all those people. So I didn't get my lovely lip gloss back.









That was then. I've improved so much since then...or have????
It seems that I've regressed living in another country and learning another language.

So here they are "Awkward Penguin" that I can relate to today:





There are very important words I avoid saying, because I don't want to sound so American. Like the word for five and right. I have a limited German vocabulary and I'm avoiding all words that start with the letter "r" and have an "ΓΌ"

That plan hasn't been working out so well.













My husband says I don't speak loudly enough. He thinks that's the reason people don't understand me sometimes, not my accent. I hope he's right,but on the other hand it terrifies me to think I might be yelling at people if I raise my voice.
















This has happened to me a lot of times too. More so in the past.
















In Germany, it's more like I don't understand what they said. Nod and smile.









Lets face it, I could be the poster child for the awkward penguin. Feel like you could relate to any of those?

Here's where the pics are from. There's tons more. http://www.quickmeme.com/Socially-Awkward-Penguin/popular/

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I laughed a lot reading this post because.... I am Alisha as well! And don't worry about being shy and correcting people, because I HAVE corrected people, some repeatedly, and I am still "Alisha". I just feel like it is my nickname. haha I don't really correct people anymore. It isn't worth trying.

    Also, the whole saying something funny and only one person hears, and they repeat it.... that happens ALL of the time to me and Stephen always repeats things and gets the credit. haha So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the Alisha thing used to drive me crazy, but now I get it here in Germany because, well, no one can remember the name Alyssa. It's definitely the older generation that has a problem with the name.

    Zach's been really nice about the repeating my jokes. He always gives credit. Stephen should learn. Yeah the awkward penguin is so great, because it means I'm somewhat normal!!! :)

    How's apartment searching? And Happy Birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete